Each spring, the National Student Employment Association (NSEA) coordinates a National Student Employee of the Year program to recognize the outstanding contributions and achievements of students who work while attending college.
The process begins at the institutional level. Supervisors may nominate an outstanding employee for their institutions student employee of the year. Then, any institution who is a member of MASEA and/or NSEA may submit their student employee of the year for State, Regional and National consideration. *Must be a NSEA member to advance to the Regional and National level in the competition. If you or your institution are not currently a member of NSEA, you must have an active NSEA membership to advance beyond the state level by the time you submit your campus winner for the State competition.
To check your current MASEA membership status visit the following link: http://www.masea.org/docs/forms/memCheckStatus.html.
2016 MASEA Student Employee of the Year
Rachel Wonderlich, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
Read more about Rachel here
Student Employee of the Year
All students employees at institutions with at least one member of MASEA and/or NSEA. Students must have been employed for a minimum of six months part-time or three months full-time between June 1, 2016 and May 31, 2017 (anticipated).
Students will be evaluated on the following characteristics:
- Quality of Work
- Uniqueness of Contribution
- December 1, 2016 - MASEA distributes announcement and application materials to their members and NSEA members in their region.
- February 17, 2017 - Campus nominations due to the campus Student Employment Office
- March 1, 2017 - Campus winners due to Erin Schwartz (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- March 22, 2017 - Regional winner submitted to NSEA's Vice President for Membership Services.
- March 27 – March 31, 2017
- MASEA Regional and State winner's schools notified.
- National Student Employee of the Year selected and winner's school notified by NSEA President.
- April 9-15, 2017 - National Student Employment Week
- National SEOTY announced
- Runner-Up finalists notified
- National SEOTY Award presented at winner's campus
- State winners will receive a certificate and check for $75.00
- The MASEA regional winner will receive a plaque and a check for $150.00
- The MASEA winner will be submitted for the NSEA Student Employee of the Year Program.
- SEOTY Campus Nomination Form (to be completed by nominator at your institution or collected in an alternate/electronic format by institution/student employment office).
The SEOTY Campus Nomination Form, with revised writing prompts for 2016, maintains the traditional SEOTY judging criteria. The revised writing prompts ask nominators to write about the attributes, expectations, leadership/style, and impact of the student through providing examples in order to more clearly address the judging criteria. Separate supporting documents, such as a formal letter of nomination allowed in previous years, are not able to be submitted this year.
- SEOTY Campus Selection Form (to be completed by institution/student employment office)
In order for your institution's student employee of the year to be considered for state, regional, and national Student Employee of the Year, you need to submit the Campus Nomination Form and Campus Selection Form for your campus winner to Erin Schwartz (email@example.com).
For more information, please contact Erin Schwartz, MASEA Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Employee of the Year (SEOTY) Implementation Guidance
The nominating process is easy! To help you with the process we have some suggested steps listed below:
- Send the SEOTY and SESOTY information, corresponding forms (or alternate/electronic forms with the same fields, if you choose to do so), and a memo explaining the award and nomination process to your campus supervisors for SEOTY nominations and your student employees for SESOTY. Establish a campus deadline date for submissions that allows your selection committee time to determine and submit your campus winners to MASEA.
- Many institutions create an online "survey" or "form" to collect the same information asked on the Campus Nomination Form as part of their process, which is acceptable. A complete Campus Nomination Form will be needed by MASEA only for your campus winner.
- Collect all nominations by the deadline date and request a "call for readers" on your campus. Readers will simply read and review all nominations and complete a SEOTY or SESOTY (depending on the category) rating system for each candidate. Be sure to determine a deadline for completion of all ratings to allow time to submit your campus winners to MASEA. See this example rating system, which can be used by your campus readers.
- Collect the rating forms and calculate all scores. Select your SEOTY and SESOTY based on the top scores.
- Complete the SEOTY Campus Selection Form along with the SEOTY Campus Nomination Form and send to MASEA by email to Erin Schwartz email@example.com.