For the third year in 2017, MASEA will coordinate a MASEA Student Employment Supervisor of the Year program to recognize the outstanding leadership, professionalism and mentoring of student employment supervisors.
The process begins at the institutional level. Student employees or colleagues may nominate a supervisor of student employees for their institution's student employment supervisor of the year. Then, any institution who is a member of MASEA may submit their student employment supervisor of the year for State and Regional consideration.
2016 MASEA Student Employment Supervisor of the Year
Kristin Bischoff, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
Read more about Kristin here
Student Employment Supervisor of the Year
Eligible Student Employment Supervisors:
All full time and professional part time student employment supervisors (faculty or staff) at institutions with at least one member of MASEA. Please note that students are not eligible for this award.
Supervisors will be evaluated on the following characteristics:
- Excellent Leadership
*In the event of a tie, leadership abilities will be considered as the tiebreaker.
- December 1, 2017 – MASEA distributes announcement and application materials to their members
- April 9-15, 2018 – National Student Employment Week
- April 18, 2018 – Campus SESOTY nominations due to the campus Student Employment Office
- April 25, 2018 – Campus SESOTY winners due to Erin Schwartz (email@example.com)
- April 30 - May 4, 2018 – MASEA Student Employee Supervisor of the Year selected and winnerís school notified by MASEA President.
- State winners will receive a certificate and check for $50.00
- The MASEA regional winner will receive a plaque and a check for $100.00
- SESOTY Campus Nomination Form (to be completed by nominator at your institution or collected in an alternate/electronic format by institution)
- SESOTY Campus Selection Form (to be completed by student employment office)
- Formal letter of nomination completed by the nominating student employee or colleague specifically addressing the following areas:
In order for your institution's supervisor of the year to be considered for state and regional, you need to submit the Campus Nomination Form, Campus Selection Form, and nomination letter for your campus winner to Erin Schwartz (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information, please contact Erin Schwartz, MASEA Secretary, email@example.com.
Student Employment Supervisor of the Year (SESOTY) Implementation Guidance
The nominating process is easy! To help you with the process we have some suggested steps listed below:
- Send the SEOTY and SESOTY information, corresponding forms (or alternate/electronic forms with the same fields, if you choose to do so), and a memo explaining the award and nomination process to your campus supervisors for SEOTY nominations and your student employees for SESOTY. Establish a campus deadline date for submissions that allows your selection committee time to determine and submit your campus winners to MASEA.
- Many institutions create an online "survey" or "form" to collect the same information asked on the Campus Nomination Form as part of their process, which is acceptable. A complete Campus Nomination Form will be needed by MASEA only for your campus winner.
- Collect all nominations by the deadline date and request a "call for readers" on your campus. Readers will simply read and review all nominations and complete a SEOTY or SESOTY (depending on the category) rating system for each candidate. Be sure to determine a deadline for completion of all ratings to allow time to submit your campus winners to MASEA. See this example rating system, which can be used by your campus readers.
- Collect the rating forms and calculate all scores. Select your SEOTY and SESOTY based on the top scores.
- Complete the SESOTY Campus Selection Form, and send, along with the SESOTY Campus Nomination Form and Letter of Nomination, to MASEA by email to Erin Schwartz, firstname.lastname@example.org.